2014 was the first year that DenverSpeax attended Denver Channel 93.3’s BIG GIG, even though the annual event has been happening since 2008.
For those of you who haven’t been to Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre to see a show, it’s honestly a pretty great place as far as price, viewing, and sound (they recently upgraded their equipment). We bought tickets for $15 + tax / fees to sit on blankets in the grass, and listen to 8 awesome bands on the main stage. Also, another stage featured local acts only which was easy and accessible to wander over to in-between acts. Are the beers and food pricey? Sure – but what venue isn’t?
On the main stage, we enjoyed the following bands: Panic! At The Disco, Twenty One Pilots, American Authors, Walk The Moon, MSMR, Brick + Mortar, Bad Suns & Rumours Follow. All of which we’d heard on 93.3, but never seen live. We can honestly say that each band is chocked full of seemingly never-ending entertainment; not only was the music good, but the lights, the impromptu covers, crowd engagement, and, well, back flips, were great! Highlights of the show include, but aren’t limited to:
- The sweet, off-the-piano back flip from Twenty One Pilots’ lead singer, Tyler Joseph. Way to go, dude! We would’ve broken our necks.
- Panic! At The Disco‘s rendition of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Brendon Urie has NO PROBLEM hittin’ the high notes while the band’s guitarists do an incredible job of harmonizing. I don’t think we saw a single silent spectator during that number.
- Brick + Mortar getting the crowd all riled up, screaming “HEY” in sync during “Move to the Ocean”. Also, the authentic attitudes and gratitude of the two band members, Brandon Asraf (vocals and bass guitar) and John Tacon (drums, vocals, and samples), was admirable. You think we loved them before, well… it’s on stalker-level now.
- Lizzy Plapinger of MS MR has an incredible voice, no doubt…but the girl’s smile is incredible! It lights up the entire stage.
It was such an amazing, all-day show, and definitely a great way to experience so many new bands for a low price. Big Gig definitely falls under the awesome bang-for-your-buck category! If you’re into modern rock, and like watching up-and-coming local bands, make sure to check this out next year.
Things that will make your experience at Fiddler’s much more enjoyable:
- Bring a blanket, or 3. This is beneficial for sitting in the GA Grass area, as well as battling the lower temps at night.
- Empty water bottles / canisters, or full AND sealed waters are allowed to go in with you, and you can fill them up as many times as your heart desires at the drinking fountains by the restrooms.
- An umbrella is a good idea to shade you from the sun – there isn’t any shade at Fiddler’s.
- For those super hot concert days, bring am empty spray bottle to mist yourself with – it’ll keep you cool, and you can find one at a dollar store.
One thought on “Denver’s Channel 93.3 BIG GIG 2014”
Pingback: Riot Fest 2014: What NOT to miss | denverspeax
Comments are closed.